:: Re: [DNG] Chimaera on Dell Wyse 304…
Author: dng@d404.nl
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Configuring ethernet port for IPv6
Subject: Re: [DNG] Chimaera on Dell Wyse 3040 installs but won't boot
On 27-01-2022 11:06, Mike Tubby wrote:
> Can anyone provide help with this one?
>
> I have a Dell Wyse 3040 tiny PC intended for use a thin client running
> "ThinOS" (Ubuntu 16.04 and custom desktop/thin client).
>
> Others have reported success sunning desktop Linux distros "out of the
> box":
>
> https://roytanck.com/2020/05/13/running-linux-on-a-dell-wyse-3040-thin-client/
>

> but I want to run Devuan 4.0 Server to run DNS and a few other light
> weight infrastructure things on little box on a home network.
>
> The Wyse 3040 is an Intel Atom quad core unit with 2Gb of DDR3, 16Gb
> of eMMC flash, Gigabit Ethernet, 2 x DisplayPort, 4 x USB and audio.
>
> I have set the BIOS back to defaults, booted from the server
> installation on a USB stick made with Rufus 3.17 and performed the
> installation, re-partitioned the eMMC flash, installed minimum
> components and the installation has run to the end successfully and
> for the "Now time to boot to your new installation".
>
> When rebooting the machine it drops to a "No bootable devices" error.
>
> Now these systems are EFI based and do not appear to have any legacy
> drive support in BIOS.
>
> I have run the installation a second time and paid more attention,
> when it installs Grub it doesn't pop a menu asking where I want the
> boot loader installed (MBR, first partition,) or providing a list of
> 'drives' or block devices to choose where to put the boot loader -
> instead something flashes past about grub and EFI and it completes,
> but after cycling the power the system isn't bootable.
>
> Is there something incomplete/configurable/different that has to be
> done on systems with eMMC/EFI to get them to boot?
>

> Mike

IIRC there are two common problems. 1) On the EFI partition there is a
hard link to Debian directory which should be Devuan or reverse 2) The
BIOS is expecting a bootx32.efi whereas only a bootx64.efi has been
installed

You can check this with the tools from the link to GrubEFIReinstall from
Tim Wallace mail.

Grtz

Nick