:: [DNG] Youtube is slow and advertise…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Youtube is slow and advertisement laden: Was: Early Days at Bell Labs - Youtube, the systemd of video
ael via Dng said on Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:56:51 +0000

>On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 04:12:44AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
>>
>> This was discussed on the devuan-offtopic IRC channel, so I watched
>> the video:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECCr_KFl41E
>
>But youtube has become impossible to watch with hideous intrusive
>deviant advertisements...

Impossible is lifting a Cadillac over your head with just your body's
muscles. Annoying is Youtube advertisements. Youtube is still
watchable. And, if you hate advertisements, you can just subscribe to
Youtube Premium and not get them.

> And google seem to have found a way to make
>youtube-dl hopelessly slow.

This throttling of youtube-dl is inconvenient but not life-altering.
You can make a list of videos you want to download, put them all in a
shellscript, and set it off just before you go to bed. The next day
you'll have all the videos.

Here's a tip: Be sure to use the --restrict-filenames option so you
don't get hard to rename filenames.

SteveT

Steve Litt