:: Re: [DNG] request for assistance
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: o1bigtenor
CC: wirelessduck, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] request for assistance
Hi,

o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 6:14 AM wirelessduck--- via Dng
> <dng@???> wrote:
>>
>> On 7 Jan 2022, at 22:02, o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> Basic question is: what happened?
>>>
>>> I wanted to update a beowulf system.
>>> So did the apt update, apt upgrade, apt dist-upgrade
>>> after changing the references in /etc/apt/sources.list
>>> from beowulf to chimaera.
>>>
>>> After reboot - - - well - - - screen says devuan but
>>> uname -r is 4.19.xx and not 5.10.xx
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to how I update the kernel?
>>
>> Do you have the linux-image-amd64 package installed? This is the
>> meta-package that depends on the latest Linux kernel package for the
>> currently installed release; 4.19 for beowulf and 5.10 for
>> chimaera. Without this package there is nothing to tell APT to
>> install the newer kernel package on dist-upgrade.
>>
>> https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/policy-query.html?c

ckage&q)nux-image-amd64&x?bmit

> No - - - dunno how but all that was installed was a kernel.

What probably happened is that you selected the versioned kernel in the
devuan-installer when you first installed that beowulf system. The
installer gives you a choice between a versioned kernel and one that
tracks the latest version.

I don't remember if that choice is available in the default install or
only in the expert install, though.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                    FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27