:: Re: [DNG] xdg-desktop-portal
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] xdg-desktop-portal
On Thursday 06 January 2022 at 22:30:58, Ken Dibble wrote:

> Why is xdg-desktop-portal in a fresh install of Chimaera?

I have a Chimaera machine here, freshly installed, without any graphical
desktop environment - just a command-line network server - and xdg-desktop-
portal is not installed.

> It can be safely uninstalled, as it no devuan packages in the base
> install require it,

They may not REQUIRE it, but I wonder whether you are allowing packages to
install RECOMMENDS as well?

Try "aptitude why xdg-desktop-portal" and see whether something you do want to
have on your machine has simply Recommended xdg-desktop-portal, and you ended
up with it because you haven't told apt or aptitude not to do that sort of
thing without your permission.

I always put two files into /etc/apt/apt.conf.d before allowing much software
to be installed:

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/norecommendationsplease
APT::Install-Recommends "false";
APT::Get::Install-Recommends "false";

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/nosuggestionsplease
APT::Install-Suggests "false";
APT::Get::Install-Suggests "false";

That way nothing gets installed unless I explicitly ask for it, or it's
essential for something I asked for.

Antony.

--
Tinned food was developed for the British Navy in 1813.

The tin opener was not invented until 1858.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.