:: Re: [DNG] merged /usr breakage
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] merged /usr breakage
karl@??? said on Tue, 4 Jan 2022 00:08:01 +0100 (CET)

>Karl:
>>  The first one gives me an unbootable system
>> $ ldd /sbin/init | grep /usr
>>         libpcre2-8.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre2-8.so.0
>> (0x00007f737ba28000)

>> fortunately /bin/bash didn't depend on /usr so I could boot with
>> init=/bin/bash, but there is more breakage:
>
>booting with init=/bin/bash and running the files /etc/rcS.d/S*
>manually it seems to be fsck.* and mount who has dependacies on /usr.
>
>To fix this, theese packages needs to un-/usr-merged:
> libmount1
> libblkid1
> libpcre2-8-0
> libuuid1
> uuid-dev
>
>busybox can replace the mount command, but there is no fsck.* in
>busybox.

Rather than fighting the mostly political fight of usr-merge, my first
thought would be to make a whole new directory on the root partition.
If you're looking for a name for this new directory, it could be:

/screw_freedesktop_poettering_and_redhat

Just kidding. I'd probably call it /bb . Put all the static executables
needed in early boot there. If there are a lot, it could have
subdirectories, and a bb.d subdirectory with scripts to be performed in
order.

Of course, if you do this and it succeeds, freedesktop, poettering and
redhat will find ways to muck with it, so there may come a time when
defensive measures must be taken. But we can safely put this off until
later.

SteveT

Steve Litt