:: Re: [DNG] nvidia-persistenced can't…
Author: fraser kendall
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] nvidia-persistenced can't be installed
On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 15:26:51 -0500
Haines Brown <haines@???> wrote:

> When I try to do an upgrade, I'm told nvidia-persistenced is not
> configured. When I reinstall it I get:

> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
> Setting up nvidia-persistenced (460.32.03-1) ...
> Starting NVIDIA Persistence Daemon
> nvidia-persistenced failed to initialize. Check syslog for more
> details. invoke-rc.d: initscript nvidia-persistenced, action "start"
> failed. dpkg: error processing package nvidia-persistenced
> (--configure): installed nvidia-persistenced package
> post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
> Errors were encountered while processing: nvidia-persistenced
> Setting up nvidia-persistenced (460.32.03-1) ...
> Starting NVIDIA Persistence Daemon
> nvidia-persistenced failed to initialize. Check syslog for more
> details. invoke-rc.d: initscript nvidia-persistenced, action "start"
> failed. dpkg: error processing package nvidia-persistenced
> (--configure): installed nvidia-persistenced package
> post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
> Errors were encountered while processing: nvidia-persistenced
>
> I'm runing Chimaera with fluxbox but no desktop environment. I
> reinstalled xord and fluxbox. Syslog does not report an error.

> $ lspci -nn | egrep -i "3d|display|vga"
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation
> RocketLake-S GT1 [UHD Graphics 750] [8086:4c8a] (rev 04) 00:17.0 SATA
> controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:43d2] (rev 11)
>
> I ran # apt install -f
>
> I ran # aptitude reinstall nvidia-persistenced
> E: Internal Error, No file name for nvidia-persistenced:amd64
>
> Help would be much appreciated.

I have had several instances of this problem. I posted a workaround

https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20210122.105344.eab549d1.en.html

I have been doing this for over a year every time it crops up: the list
of affected packages has grown since that post, and the workaround seems
to be without consequences. Perhaps someone who knows stuff could
comment. There is mention of this issue here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11274290/why-is-my-debian-postinst-script-not-being-run

Best

fraser