:: [DNG] Failure of dpkg postinst/prer…
Author: fraser kendall
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Failure of dpkg postinst/prerm scripts was Re: cups in ceres: Correction
On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 13:56:15 +0000
fraser kendall <lfs.mailing@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 13:35:48 +0000
> fraser kendall <lfs.mailing@???> wrote:
>
> Correction:

[...]
> #mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/printer-driver-cups-pdf.postinst /var/lib/dpkg/info/printer-driver-cups-pdf.postinst.bad
> #mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/printer-driver-cups-pdf.postrm /var/lib/dpkg/info/printer-driver-cups-pdf.postrm.bad
> #mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/printer-driver-cups-pdf.prerm /var/lib/dpkg/info/printer-driver-cups-pdf.prerm.bad
> #dpkg -r printer-driver-cups-pdf

Replying to my own post. This is a reproducible problem/workaround
that has affected several packages in some of my various beowulf
deployments; these have included

    initramfs-tools
    initramfs-tools-core
    htcondor
    nginx-full
    printer-driver-cups-pdf

I am posting this for information: there is clearly something about the
preinst/prerm/postinst/postrm script(s) that is causing problems during
dpkg operation. The workaround is the same in each case: rename the
offending script and run dpkg again.

I recognise that this family of scripts are very similar, but lacking
the skills to pinpoint the problem, the best I can offer is to hand the
observation over to the list for any interested parties who would like
to take a look.

Best

fraser