:: Re: [DNG] Pipewire and PulseAudio: …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Pipewire and PulseAudio: apulse & firefox
Antoine via Dng said on Wed, 22 Dec 2021 00:01:04 +0100

>On Tuesday, 21 December at 20:03, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng wrote:
>>(...)>
>>Still haven't made up my mind about a command-line terminal. Have
>>been using guake for a long time, looked at tilda for a bit but for
>>the time being use rxvt-unicode on my i3-wm systems. Note, support
>>for Japanese is a must for me, output as well as input, not just on
>>the command-line but the "desktop" in general.
>
>I've tried several dropdown terminals over the years, and every one of
>them eventually stopped working in some creative way, so I wrote my
>own. As it turns out, a simple and functional version can be done with
>a few lines of shellscript, $PREFERRED_XTERMINAL, xdotool and sxhkd
>(and a little tweaking from your window manager if you feel like it).
>I'm attaching it in case anyone wants to take a look (it really is
>suprisingly simple).

PDC (Pretty Darn Cool)!

With my /bin/sh (which I believe is dash) I had to change:

function whatever {

whatever() {

on all three function declarations.

In the rest of this email, I'm referring to your program as jacketc to
save myself some keystrokes.

On my computer, Xterm normally has a nice 14 point font that I set in
.Xdefaults. But in jacketc, the fact that you give it a name
(jackinthebox) makes the font go to about 5 point, which is totally
useless for my eyes. Do I need to make some special adjustment in
.Xdefaults?

I'm used to these kinds of terminals not having window decorations. Any
way to accomplish that?

On my machine, jacketc doesn't shift focus to the newly appeared
window. Is there a reason why not?

In any window manager enabling you to execute arbitrary commands with a
keystroke, you can just set that keystroke to run jacketc.

Thanks for introducing me to xdotool. I'll be using that a lot from now
on. Just another reason I'm going to wait as long as possible to switch
to Wayland.

I do have one criticism of jacketc: Lennart Poettering wouldn't approve
of it.

:-)

SteveT

Steve Litt