:: Re: [DNG] Pipewire and PulseAudio: …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Pipewire and PulseAudio: apulse & firefox
Marc Shapiro via Dng said on Wed, 15 Dec 2021 15:34:09 -0800

>On 12/14/21 17:00, Steve Litt wrote:
>> Marc Shapiro via Dng said on Tue, 14 Dec 2021 14:09:31 -0800

[snip]

>> Have you power cycled yet?

>Thanks for reminding me!
>
>Powered down and rebooted.  No sound in Firefox, or xine.
>
>Installed apulse.  Still no sound in firefox, or xine.
>
>Re-installed pulseaudio.  Sound is back.
>
>Uninstalled pulseaudio.  Reinstalled pipewire.  No sound.
>
>Uninstalled pipewire.  Reinstalled pulseaudio.  Sound is back.

None of this surprises me. My experience with Pulseaudio tells me that
Pulseaudio is highly state dependent, and therefore acts in accordance
with historical events. Imagine having to blink your car requiring two
headlight blinks, then two key turns, then a shift to reverse and a
shift back to park, in order to start. That's what I've found
Pulseaudio to be.

>Looks like I'm stuck with pulsaudio.

I'm not so sure. We're hearing anecdotes of people running Firefox with
only ALSA. Perhaps there's some secret magic incantation that we don't
yet know about.

Also, please read https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1209469 .

>BTW: As expected, play and aplay work just fine with neither
>pulseaudio or pipewire installed.

Yep. play, aplay, record, arecord, speaker-test and that whole crew are
ALSA tools.

SteveT

Steve Litt