:: Re: [DNG] Mosquitto cannot be start…
Author: Steffen Dettmer
To: Ludovic Bellière, dng
CC: Chris Zubrzycki, sergio
Subject: Re: [DNG] Mosquitto cannot be started, because no /var/mosquitto directory (Devuan stable)
Hi,

Thank you so much for your exhaustive answer! The links helped me to
solve my next issue as well, that's great! I thought Debian would
focus on systemd, I better have looked for myself first.

In case someone else faces a similar issue and reads this, I like to
add a detail.

The patch provided by Sergio attached to #993048 is simple and very
elegant, but did not work for me, because mosquitto.conf contains a
pid_file option, too. By this, the directory still is needed.
Additionally, I had to change this option to use a different filename,
otherwise mosquitto tried to overwrite the file created by
start-stop-deamon (user=root) and got EPERM (because user=mosquitto).
Maybe the pid_file option could be removed from the configuration, or
-u mosquitto added to start-stop-deamon, but I did not test this.

Steffen