:: Re: [DNG] Chimaera Oddities
Author: Ken Dibble
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Chimaera Oddities
On 11/9/21 7:21 PM, Ken Dibble wrote:
> On 10/28/21 12:36 PM, Ken Dibble wrote:
>> A couple of oddities.
>>

>> The uas driver does not like the JMicron Sata/USB 3 bridge.
>>
>> Bus 004 Device 003: ID 152d:0578 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron
>> USA Technology Corp. JMS567 SATA 6Gb/s bridge
>

> I updated to the 5.14 kernel from backports and the craziness with the
> disk being unreadable
>
> and not recognizing formats seems to have stopped.
>

> The I/O rate is horrible (35MB/s) with the JMicron Bridge and a 2.5
> velociraptor which WD says gets
>
> up to 200MB/s sustained , although I have have only seen in the 140s.
>

> I have a Weme bridge ordered which claims to be linux compatible,
> should be here next week.
>

> We'll see what happens.

The Weme  bridge arrived.  Linux compatible?  Well, the ASM chip in it
is listed in the kernel's built in blacklist.  So, I would say no, but
it seems to work without the uas driver.

The underlying cause seems to be my USB 3 cards themselves.  They use a
Renasas uPD720200 chip, which I have been unable to update the firmware
through Linux, Dos, or Windows.

Unfortunately both of the machines in question had this card installed.

I did however find a USB 3 card with a Renasas uPD720202 chip in my pile
of expansion cards and both bridges appear to work even if on the kernel
blacklist.

So all of this stuff goes in the 'iffy' pile of hardware.  I am not
willing to trust it or a manufacturer whose definition of compatible is
that the computer doesn't go up in flames when used.  Tape is slow, but
my hardware has never complained about working the midnight shift and
tape has always been reliable for me.

Ken