:: Re: [DNG] lpr command not working
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] lpr command not working
On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 06:18:06PM +0100, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via Dng wrote:
> Anno domini 2021 Mon, 15 Nov 10:52:06 -0500
> Haines Brown scripsit:
> > On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 12:55:59PM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> > > I reinstalled a printer on a Chimaera box. The CUPS test file prints
> > > just fine. The lpr <file.pdf) command tries but fails to send data
> > > to the printer. Status: Processing - "Sending data to printer." Some 15
> > > min (?) later the job does print.
> > >
> > > A possible problem is that I cannot delete the old printer definition
> > > from CUPS. When I go to Administration -> Printers, the status of the
> > > old printer Idle, Accepting Jobs, Not Shared.
> > >
> > > Under its Administration I select Delete Printer and verify that I want
> > > it deleted. This returns the message that it has been successfully
> > > deleted. Yet it is still listed in Administration.
> > >
> > > A problem might be that the printer can't be deleted because it is
> > > shared by other systems despite its status. Where can I uncheck
> > > printer-is-shared for remote queues. Its status is Idle, Accepting
> > > Jobs, Not Shared. The best I can do is change its status to Rejecting
> > > Jobs. Restartintg CUPS sever did not help. The status of the printer
> > > I'm trying to delete is Not shared. But I can't deetete it.
> >
> > I finally managed to delete the unwanted printer by deleting CUPS
> > from the machine running it. However, lpr still does not work. The
> > problem is that no default printer is defined.
> >
> >         $ lpstat -d
> >         no system default destination

> > I'm using a HP Laserjet1320 with USB printer under Chimaera.

I did manage the set the printer default by using the correct command.

        $ lpstat -d
        system default destination: HP_LaserJet_1320_series

But it did not help.

> I got "lpr" working by giving host and printer:
>
> $ ls | lpr -H printserver -P MFC-J5320DW_EINSEITIG

Thanks, but I dont understand. Man lpr does not list an -H option.

If I try to use the -P option, the printer is unknown:

    $ lpr -PHP_LaserJet_1320_series
    lpr: HP_LaserJet_1320_series: unknown printer

> It might be that you have to set the hostname explictly to localhost.

How does one tell lpr to use localhost as hosname?

--
Haines Brown