:: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install: only lo…
Author: Haines Brown
To: Dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install: only low resolution video
On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 12:24:08PM +0200, Ludovic Bellière wrote:
> Hello Haines,
>
> Your issue isn't about the graphic card, but probably linked to your screen. I
> do not know what a Gigabyte Z590 machine is, and can't look it up at the moment,
> but I would suggest that you'd research compatibility feedbacks for your
> hardware. You'll find something if the machine is being used by members of the
> FOSS community and there are serious issues.

Ludovic, thanks for the feedback. The Z590 chipset is new (March
2021), but I did see that someone had installed linux on it and so
assumed it could be done. I don't see Gigabyte's specification of the
video chip.

The lspci command returns

  VGA compatible controller: Intel ... Device 4c8a (rev 04)
    (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

> On the other hand, make sure that all firmware and drivers for your hardware are
> installed. To do that, make sure you have enabled the non-free and contrib
> channels in your /etc/apt/sources.list. Then install firmware-linux.

Someone running ubuntu lacked video and had luck by installing the
5.10.0-1019-oem kernel and updating some drivers to testing. But that
was no screen at all, and others don't report the problem.

The non-free and contrib were already specified in my sources.list. I had
not installed firmware-linux but doing so made no diference.

> That's for the firmware, as for the drivers, you'll need
> xserver-xorg-video-all, that should install everything you need and
> then more. You may also need xserver-xorg-video-intel if you GPU is
> intel.

They were both already installed.

You imply it would do me no good to get and install a video card.
That came as a surprise. I had assumed that it was the card is that
made the dpi modes accessible.

--
Haines Brown