:: Re: [DNG] FHS deficiencies: Was: Er…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Didier Kryn
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] FHS deficiencies: Was: Er, Not that way ? .Re: Announcing Devuan 4.0: Chimaera!
Hi Didier,

Didier Kryn writes:

> Le 24/10/2021 à 01:22, Steve Litt a écrit:
>> At this point I can't be sure because I run a rolling release, but I
>> think ~/Music, Documents and ~/Videos were put there by the distro ---
>
> These are freedesktop crap. You can remove them by editing
> $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs .
>
> Some applications refer to these definitions as a default place to store
> files.
>
> Just define those you don't want as the same as an already existing one,
> such as $HOME.
>
> I don't know what the purpose of user-dirs.locale is.

That's for specifying the language you want the "default" locations to
be shown in. This may be useful if your display manager lets you pick a
language before you log in and occasionally switch languages. I do (on
very rare occasions), between Japanese and British English, so it makes
sense to set something unless you've customized all the locations.

BTW, there's also a user-dirs.conf that can be used to prevent that
translation from happening in the first place. Translation actually
results directories being mv'd.

> It's unfortunate one needs to surf the web to discover this and there is
> no tool in the application menu to configure it.

ACK and the manual pages are also not all that useful. IIRC, there's
even a bug in there somewhere about translating the locations.

Hope this helps,