:: Re: [DNG] KUserFeedback
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: tito
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] KUserFeedback
Hi tito,

tito via Dng writes:

> [... snip ...]
> What possible solutions are there to avoid this [KDE telemetry support] and [its]
> abuse?
>
> Simple workarounds that I can think off:
>
> 1) allow removal of  KUserFeedback by modifying deb deps (rather ineffective
>      as most user will not care to do so)

> 1a) allow removal of  KUserFeedback by modifying deb deps and don't install
>       by default unless the way data is collected is changed so that data
>         are collected only if opted in

> 2) if the user opted out make /home/user/telemetry a tmpfs so that data stored
>      are forgotten at reboot (easy but not very effective as data could still be
>        abused in the meanwhile)

> 3) if the user opted out create some kind of /dev/null folder (I suspect that such
>     thing doesn't exist yet) to delete the data in realtime

> 4) if the user opted out run cron jobs or other autostart scripts to periodically
>     (boot, login, logout, hourly etc) delete this data

> Comments and better ideas are welcome.

Not necessarily simple, but what about filing bugs (Debian) against any
packages that you absolutely cannot live without that would be removed
when you

apt remove libkuserfeedbackcore1

(assuming chimaera and) assuming that your APT configuration does not
aggressively try to remove automatically installed packages?

If your APT does aggressively remove automatically installed packages,
you may want to mark (some of) the ones you want to keep manual.

Just an idea,