:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Video cards on Linux…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] Video cards on Linux (was Re: Information request re: wayland)
hal said on Fri, 3 Sep 2021 05:30:57 -0500

>On 9/3/21 02:09, Steve Litt wrote:
>> spiralofhope said on Thu, 2 Sep 2021 20:33:35 -0700

>>> I've been interested in it because of promises of eliminating screen
>>> tearing when watching videos. I don't know if that's been
>>> implemented yet though.
>>
>> When I want to eliminate screen tearing in any situation, I take out
>> the nVidia and put in a Radeon.
>>

>The GPU companies have been living the thug life for years. First,
>price increase was blamed on bitcoin, then the pandemic, then
>shipping/boat-stuck-in-canal... it all seems a little too convenient
>to argue a 300% price increase is still due to any one/all of these.
>
>Luckily (or un-luckily?) I have a 1050ti that I bought before prices
>went ham. A 1070ti (released in 2017!) refurb is still going for well
>over $500 on Newegg ffs...
>
>It doesn't look like I'll be upgrading anytime soon. I'll stick to
>Minecraft and Dosbox before I pay those prices. Given the famous Linus
>quote pertaining to his thougts on Nvidia, I'm open to exploring other
>options.
>
>Any suggestions for a Radeon upgrade from a 1050ti? Is RTX only an
>Nvidia thing? I quit following the GPU trade rags when pricing went
>ham because I got tired of reading the excuses.

I don't know about RTX or 1070ti, but you can buy a no-fan, 2GB RAM
modern Radeon for well less than $100.00. Mine seems to play videos
just fine, at least Youtube videos.

If you need some sort of super-duper video, then there will be some
cost and some fan noise associated with it.

SteveT

Steve Litt