:: [DNG] [OT] Video cards on Linux (wa…
Author: hal
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] [OT] Video cards on Linux (was Re: Information request re: wayland)
On 9/3/21 02:09, Steve Litt wrote:
> spiralofhope said on Thu, 2 Sep 2021 20:33:35 -0700
>
>> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 14:16:58 -0500
>> o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>>
>>> He was of the opinion that Wayland - - - whatever its exact function,
>>> was really not worth running.
>>
>> I've been interested in it because of promises of eliminating screen
>> tearing when watching videos. I don't know if that's been implemented
>> yet though.
>
> When I want to eliminate screen tearing in any situation, I take out
> the nVidia and put in a Radeon.

The GPU companies have been living the thug life for years. First, price increase was blamed on bitcoin, then the pandemic, then shipping/boat-stuck-in-canal... it all seems a little too convenient to argue a 300% price increase is still due to any one/all of these.

Luckily (or un-luckily?) I have a 1050ti that I bought before prices went ham. A 1070ti (released in 2017!) refurb is still going for well over $500 on Newegg ffs...

It doesn't look like I'll be upgrading anytime soon. I'll stick to Minecraft and Dosbox before I pay those prices. Given the famous Linus quote pertaining to his thougts on Nvidia, I'm open to exploring other options.

Any suggestions for a Radeon upgrade from a 1050ti? Is RTX only an Nvidia thing? I quit following the GPU trade rags when pricing went ham because I got tired of reading the excuses.