:: Re: [DNG] License for the DNG creat…
Author: spiralofhope
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] License for the DNG created software guide
On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 14:26:52 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> I'm a little afraid that people with insufficient knowledge, or with
> political agendas, will water it down with bullshit.

Is this the problem, and only problem, you want to solve?

Is this a problem that _needs_ to be solved?

> Only skilled people can modify source code, but any fool can modify
> documentation.

I resemble that remark. :)

There are essays and there is documentation out there which has been
formative to me, some of which I've taken and adapted. Were I to
release something, the fact that it's my name backing it will mean
whatever it means to a reader. I could misrepresent my work as coming
from someone else, but the fact that I'm hosting it would reveal the
lie.

I think it's the collection of names authenticated by where it's hosted
which matters, and if "any fool" modifies it, that matters only as a
curiosity if it isn't "committed upstream" so-to-speak.

Also, if each release or diff were signed via PGP by contributors, that
might be useful so it can be hosted anywhere.

When I think about it, I suppose the protectionism would be to prevent
someone else from modifying it, representing it as theirs, slapping
licensing on it then sending lawyers after others.