:: [DNG] Microsoft: Really?
Author: Steve Litt
To: golugtech
CC: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] Microsoft: Really? Yes. It's all about vapour
Subject: [DNG] Microsoft: Really?
Check out this article:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3628169/windows-365-costs-how-much.html

Windows 365...

So let me get this straight: For the privilege of enduring data caps on
your own data, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB storage, and having your personal data on
somebody else's server just waiting for a badguy to steal, you pay only
$20/month.

They have bigger plans that give more RAM, storage and CPUs, all the
way up to $163/month for 8 virtual CPUs, 32 GB RAM, and 512 GB storage.

So let me get this straight. My Ryzen 6 core with 64GB RAM and 12TB
disk cost me roughly $2000.00. Divide that by 163 and you find that in
12.25 months of Windows 365, my computer is paid for. My last computer
(2 core, 16GB RAM 8TB disk) lasted me productively for six years, and I
expect something like that out of my Ryzen.

Of course the real effect of this is that Mocrosoft takes possession of
every single bit of your computing experience, making it extremely hard
for you to ever escape.

An article I wrote 20 years ago sounds like it was written for Windows
365:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200104/200104.htm#_editors_desk

SteveT

Steve Litt