:: [DNG] libvirt package without X11 …
Author: AP
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] libvirt package without X11 and DBus
Hi everyone,

first I thank all DEVUAN people for the pure pleasure of running my
system (since ASCII 2018) without a bloatware.

This is my first message and I am sorry, that my search did not give me
the answer about:

maintenance of the libvirt package without X11 and DBus

Question: is there a way to get the package for libvirt + QEMU/KVM for
headless VMs - when no X, no DBus needed?

Currently I am solving it like this:
I am using QEMU/KVM/libvirt in Beowulf SMP Debian x86_64

My guests are LAMP headless VMs, with no X11 (all DEVUAN Beowulf x86_64).

On a supervisor I am using no DBus, so I purged it from the packages
installed by default, and put on hold along with elogin and libpam module:
~$sudo apt-mark showhold
dbus
elogind
libpam-elogind

System runs stable, for development, production and backup environments.

When I simulate an update to the recent libvirt on a supervisor, it
starts to pull in all the X11 + DBus dependencies libraries, which were
not installed before, smth. around +300MB of archives, like fonts TTF,
and others.

Using DBus would put my system in the uncontrolled and unmaintained
state, since I do not have any experience to manage it, and also no
requirements to use it.

Do you have any experience about maintaining libvirt without DBus in
Devuan/Debian, and can you share what is helpfull/meaningfull strategy here?
Is there  a chance to install/upgrade libvirt package with no X11 / DBus
dependencies, and can I contribute to such package?

Thank you!
Cheers,
Andrzej

--