:: Re: [DNG] grub-install device node …
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] grub-install device node not found [solved]
On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 05:27:48PM +0200, aitor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 4/8/21 16:34, Haines Brown wrote:
> > But I'd prefer to do the fix direclty within sdc chroot. Is there
> > a utility in util-linux to make the node (/dev/sdc1 ?) visible?
>
> You need to include them in /etc/fstab to suit your needs, i guess.

Thanks for the suggestion. In looking at fstab I found that term was
no longer accessible. So I inistalled mlterm to look at /etc/fstab. I
see that it still has the information I had earlier provided for it.
That is, the UUID number for / etc.

I worried about MBR. It is msdos as I would expect. Then I checked to
see if it had content with

# dd if=/dev/sdc of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1
# od -xa mbr.bin

The output of no use to me, but at least there exits an MBR with code.
Otherwise I'd have to repartiion the disk

In principle I have a fully operating system on the disk. There is a
kernel and /boot/grub has its files. The only problem is I have no
boot manager.

Incidentally when I now try to run # update-grub it ends with

device node not found
Cannot find list of partitions! (Try mounting /sys.)

So I tried to mount /sys within chroot:

/# mount -t proc none /proc

This did not oslve the problem. I tried from outide chroot:

# mount -o bind /sys/ /mnt/devinst/sys

Now # update-grub runs and successfully completes. It finds the linux
and initrd images, but not those on other disks. I forget whether it
can do so before a reboot.

I used to do cross installs many years ago and loved it. The process
today seems simpler than before.

--
Haines Brown