:: Re: [DNG] Starting outline for the …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Starting outline for the DNG Safe Programmer Certificate
wirelessduck--- via Dng said on Sun, 1 Aug 2021 22:43:35 +1000

>> On 1 Aug 2021, at 21:56, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 01:49:46PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>>> Josef Grosch via Dng said on Thu, 29 Jul 2021 15:32:05 -0700

>>> This reminds me of something not yet in the outline. The originating
>>> author should place, in comments, near the top, his or her syntax
>>> conventions including naming conventions, brace placements if not
>>> Python, spaces or tabs.
>>>
>>> I'm hidiously guilty of using violating my own conventions (or not
>>> having any), so I should make that document at the start of a
>>> project. Matter of fact, I should make it BEFORE my next project.
>>> Naturally, one such stylesheet must be made for Python, another for
>>> C, etc.
>>>
>>> In an ideal world, here's how I'd do C blocks:
>>>
>>> if(mybool)
>>> {
>>> do_my_stuff()
>>> }
>>
>> I tend to use
>> if(mybool)
>>  { do_my_stuff();
>>    do_other_stuff);
>>  }

>> I really believe matching braces should be on the same line, or,
>> failing that, at the same level of indentation; i.e., above one
>> another.
>>
>> And I'd like the compile to warn me of deviations from that.
>>
>> -- hendrik
>>

>>> However, I do it the way Vim preformats for me, to make my life
>>> easier:
>>>
>>> if(mybool){
>>> do_my_stuff()
>>> }
>>>
>>> #ifndef AUTHOR
>>> char * AUTHOR = "SteveT"
>>> #endif
>>>
>>> AUTHOR
>>>
>>> Steve Litt
>
>Just use indent(1) and forget about all stying problems? I prefer
>`indent -kr`, none of that GNU styling craziness!!
>
>https://manpages.debian.org/buster/indent/indent.1.en.html

I just spent 2 hours trying out indent. As far as I can tell, -bli
doesn't work, and I could find no way to put statements in block at the
same level with the block's parentheses. So what I want is this:

int myfunc()
   {
   do_something();
   do_more();
   if(mybool)
      {
      do_special()
      }
   }

If you know a way to accomplish the preceding with indent, please let
me know. Closest I could get was

int myfunc()
{
   do_something();
   do_more();
   if(mybool)
      {
         do_special()
      }
}

Eeeeuuuuu, ugly, confusing, and inconsistent. I'd rather just keep
doing it Vim's way:

int myfunc(){
   do_something();
   do_more();
   if(mybool){
      do_special()
   }
}

The preceding is at least consistent, and the ending brace is at the
level of the statement running the block, which at least is fathomable
if you get used to it.

SteveT

Steve Litt