:: Re: [DNG] New service manager being…
Author: dng@d404.nl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] New service manager being developed
On 30-07-2021 14:54, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> On 21.07.21 13:34, dng@??? wrote:
>
>> Great initiative. I am currently using Alpine combined with
>> s6-overlay in most of my docker containers and it works very well.
>
> Just curious: what are you using a s6 inside docker containers for ?
>
> I've always been under the impression that docker containers are meant
> for running only one application/service per container and thus don't
> need an extra service supervisor inside the container.
>

> By the way: IMHO a huge portion of the whole topic is describing the
> individual services. I've made some experiments on some hi-level
> service description that hopefully should be universal enough for
> driving quite any supervisor/service manager on any distro from that,
> while still being easy to maintain, even for the actual package
> upstreams. Of course, that's just a little PoC, nothing usable in
> the field. https://github.com/metux/srvman
>

> --mtx

I know the theory but in practice I wanted a small static server with
Letsencrypt and cron enabled in one small container. So I took a Alpine
base image added s6 and the services needed. BTW Alpine uses busybox
crond not cron. Especially for small an low resource computers you will
prefer 1 containter above 3  separate ones.

Grtz.

Nick