:: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American …
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American language
On Friday 30 July 2021 at 22:30:34, Rowland Penny via Dng wrote:

> On Fri, 2021-07-30 at 22:18 +0200, Antony Stone wrote:
> > >
> > > But it's *fun* pronouncing both the p and the t.
> >
> > Who in their right mind would pronounce the 't' in that :) ?
>
> Just about everyone in England, it is the 'p' that you do not
> pronounce. Unless you are actually referring to the 'that' on the end
> of your sentence, in which case 'ha' :-D

I suspect I under-emphasised the smiley in my sentence :(

> > German pronounces all the letters in a word, in as consistent a way
> > as possible.
>
> They would.

At least it's easy to learn how to say German words, and how to know which
word a German has just said.

> > French pronounces as few of the letters in a word as it can get away
> > with.
>
> Terrible language, we stole the best parts of their language.

Yes, mostly from the original Latin...

> > English pronounces most, but not all, of the letters in a word, in as
> > many different ways as possible.
>
> How about the name 'Cholmondeley ' which is pronounced 'Chumley'

Agreed.

St. John = Sinjun
Featherstonehaugh = Fanshaw
Gloucester = Gloster
Worcester = Wooster

Antony.

--
The words "e pluribus unum" on the Great Seal of the United States are from a
poem by Virgil entitled "Moretum", which is about cheese and garlic salad

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.