:: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American …
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American language
On Wednesday 28 July 2021 at 23:48:37, Steve Litt wrote:

> - Ate it: Fell down, presumably while trying something challenging on a
> skateboard, roller skates, bicycle, surf board, or while body surfing.
>
> - Ate concrete: Subset of ate it: Fell off a bicycle, roller skates or
> skateboard, onto concrete. Typically results in road rash.
>
> - Wiped out: Synonym for ate it.
>
> - Got Maytagged: While surfing or body surfing, when the wave crashes
> on top of you and whirls you around vertically.
>
> - Faceplant: Ate it, landing on your face.
>
> - Roadrash: Removal of the first, and some of the second layers of skin
> after eating concrete.
>
> - Stoked: Happy, satisfied
>
> - Gnarly (antideluvian from 80's): Sort of like "awesome", but also
> meaning either difficult and probably dangerous, or doing something
> difficult, and probably dangerous.

My list focused on words which exist in both languages but with different
meanings, such as (as kindly supplemented by another member of this list):

ass - a donkey in English, and buttocks in American ("arse" in English)

Antony.

--
"I think both KDE and Gnome suck - I'm quite unbiased in that, because I use a
Mac."

- Jason Isitt

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.