:: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] British vs American language
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE via Dng said on Wed, 28 Jul 2021 16:42:51 -0400

>On Mittwoch, 28. Juli 2021 15:47:24 -04 Steve Litt wrote:
>> Hendrik Boom said on Wed, 28 Jul 2021 07:04:10 -0400
>>
>> >On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 12:06:46PM +0200, Antony Stone wrote in the
>> >signature:
>> >
>> >I was aware of chips, pavement, and pissed.
>> >The confusion about pint and gallon is why I prefer litres.
>> >
>> >But I do not know how the others differ.
>>
>> Don't forget Southern California Coastal English:
>>
>> - Ate it
>> - Ate concrete
>> - Wiped out
>> - Got Maytagged
>> - Faceplant
>> - Roadrash
>> - Stoked
>> - Gnarly (antideluvian from 80's)
>>
>> SteveT
>>
>Please be so kind as to translate for the uniniciated.
>(1 Corinthians 14:27, 28) . . .And if someone speaks in a tongue, let
>it be limited to two or three at the most, and in turns, and someone
>must interpret. But if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in
>the congregation . . .

- Ate it: Fell down, presumably while trying something challenging on a
skateboard, roller skates, bicycle, surf board, or while body surfing.

- Ate concrete: Subset of ate it: Fell off a bicycle, roller skates or
skateboard, onto concrete. Typically results in road rash.

- Wiped out: Synonym for ate it.

- Got Maytagged: While surfing or body surfing, when the wave crashes
on top of you and whirls you around vertically.

- Faceplant: Ate it, landing on your face.

- Roadrash: Removal of the first, and some of the second layers of skin
after eating concrete.

- Stoked: Happy, satisfied

- Gnarly (antideluvian from 80's): Sort of like "awesome", but also
meaning either difficult and probably dangerous, or doing something
difficult, and probably dangerous.

Partial sample paragraph: Deeeuuuuddd, shooting that gnarly part
of Sepulveda Pass today on my longboard, I ate it big time, so now I
have roadrash from my chest to my toes. At least I didn't do a
faceplant like last week. To forget my troubles, I went body surfing at
Venice, caught a gnarly eight footer, and got maytagged. Now I'm stoked.

Hey deeeuuuuddd, doooooncha understand English, maaaaan?

:-)

SteveT

Steve Litt