:: [DNG] Remote power management
Author: fraser kendall
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: [DNG] Remote power management
Hi,

This feels like a damnfool question, but I don't seem able to find an
appropriate solution.

The situation: careless staff leaving desktops logged on, open tabs in
browsers, monitors left on etc.etc.

First solution: cron job: '/sbin/shutdown -r now' run daily at 7pm

But this reboots to a live console login (no dm installed) and I
haven't yet found a way to remotely configure the power management; all
the solutions seem to merge to one where X is already running (or
eliminating human error!).

The situation is complicated by the need to subsequently disable power
management and screensaver so that online video (tutoring) doesn't get
interrupted once X and xfce are manually launched. So here is my
damnfool question:

How can I manually turn any monitors off remotely if they are not
running X? The computers are all running Chimaera.

Sorry for such an elementary question, but it's eluded me.

fraser