:: Re: [DNG] Advice sought re: ejabber…
Author: o1bigtenor
To: dng, Marjorie Roome
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] Advice sought re: ejabberd
On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 7:48 AM dng@??? <dng@???> wrote:

> On 18-07-2021 13:17, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> > Greetings
> >
> > I have, at least temporarily, abandoned installing 'Evergreen' - -
> > library software.
> >
> > Far too many books around here never mind a huge collection of papers
> > most often pdfs.
> >
> > The Evergreen 'system' uses ejabberd as a communication tool and it
> > would seem to me (new at digging under the hood as it were) that
> > ejabberd is quite intertwined into this system.
> >
> > Ejabberd was installed as part of the install but then in the setup
> > it is necessary to shut it off.
> > The install workflow used 'systemctl' etc etc as a control
> > I used 'service ejabberd stop' which worked but when I wanted to
> > restart the service the complaints started.
> >
> > Is there a simple way to change this reliance on systemd or is this
> > something better left to someone who does know what they're doing (not
> > me - - - grin!)?
> >
> > TIA
>
> Most likely you cannot do service ejabberd restart after a stop. You
> have to use service ejabberd start
> Otherwise you get a error/warning that no running service has been found
> before starting the service.

# service ejabberd start
[....] Starting ejabberd...:root@memyself:/home/opensrf-3.2.1# service
ejabberd status
[....] Getting ejabberd status...:Failed RPC connection to the node
ejabberd@localhost: nodedown

Commands to start an ejabberd node:
  start      Start an ejabberd node in server mode
  debug      Attach an interactive Erlang shell to a running ejabberd node
  iexdebug   Attach an interactive Elixir shell to a running ejabberd node
  live       Start an ejabberd node in live (interactive) mode
  iexlive    Start an ejabberd node in live (interactive) mode, within
an Elixir shell
  foreground Start an ejabberd node in server mode (attached)

Optional parameters when starting an ejabberd node:
  --config-dir dir   Config ejabberd:    /etc/ejabberd
  --config file      Config ejabberd:    /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.yml
  --ctl-config file  Config ejabberdctl: /etc/ejabberd/ejabberdctl.cfg
  --logs dir         Directory for logs: /var/log/ejabberd
  --spool dir        Database spool dir: /var/lib/ejabberd
  --node nodename    ejabberd node name: ejabberd@localhost

To me this is a dead end - - - - perhaps someone can show me the path through?

TIA