:: Re: [DNG] deprecated options (Was: …
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] deprecated options (Was: Refracta have a static IP)
Bernard Rosset via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

>> Perhaps it's time for the relevant package to spit out some notice level logging when it hits deprecated options ?
>
> I can't imagine the volume of information that would produce on system upgrades, even updates packs.
> Unreadable, if you ask me: Too much information = No information, as it will be discarded.

No, I'm not talking about changelogs - which as you say tend to get very lengthy on a system upgrade and either ignored or are a pita to wade through, and for many users, much of what's in there isn't relevant to their use case. I'm talking about, as a service/daemon starts, then it spits out a warning notice **IFF** a deprecated option is encountered in the config.

I've seen the latter many times, and it works - doesn't stop the service working, doesn't disappear in a gazzillion pages of changelogs that no-one reads (because a lot of the changelog isn't relevant to the user's use case) - but does provide a warning that the config needs re-visiting.

Simon