:: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
Author: Patrick Bartek
To: dng
CC: Alessandro Vesely
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] APT upgrade, was USB mount problem
Subject: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 11:34:32 +0200
Alessandro Vesely via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Tue 15/Jun/2021 20:41:09 +0200 Patrick Bartek via Dng wrote:
> >
> > I have found that each desktop uses its own method of automounting.
> > PCManFM may have the mounting code built-in. Or it may use udiskie.
> > Check PCManFM's dependencies and see if udiskie is listed. Did you
> > install udiskie yourself? If not, then some other app did and it's
> > probably needed. If it's not causing problems, leave it be.
>

> Right. For spacefm it is udevil.
>
> Curiously, spacefm was mounting smoothly until yesterday, on chimaera
> + openbox. After I did a system upgrade, I couldn't mount an USB key
> any more, until I manually installed udevil. What happened,
> dependency changes?

This is one of the "gotchas" that can happen when running an "in
development" version. As far as why it happen: could be a number of
things. Most of the time, it's because a dependency, like udevil to
spacefm, become mismatched version-wise. That is, udevil has become
"too old" to work with spacefm, and the upgrade process uninstalls it.
Try "full-grade" instead of just "upgrade" to get the newer version of
the dependencies when "upgrading." In fact, this is the recommended
procedure when running an "in development" or testing version.