:: Re: [devuan-dev] Testers for Chimae…
Author: Rene Kita
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Testers for Chimaera alpha netinstall iso
On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 08:22:06AM +1000, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
> The Chimaera alpha netinstall ISOs version dated 14-Jun-2021 or later
> now include "the final" versions of the forked udebs, and they need
> testing to confirm that it is ready for RC1 in the coming month.

JFTR, I installed Chimaera today using the netinstall ISO obtained from
[1] on a ThinkPad X200s.

During install I was prompted for missing firmware. I provide the
iwlwifi-firmware and wireless-regdb from external media. On IRC I've
already been told, that this might be an false flag and would have
worked anyways (Though I had the problem with missing iwlwifi-firmware
already using the Beowulf installer on a similar device).

After entering my passphrase multiple times and getting a failure when
'Attempting to exchange keys with the network', I setup a second WiFi
with an simple passphrase (12345678). Using this, the key exchange also
failed. I changed a setting in my router and it worked after that. To
double check I changed back that option and tried again - and it works!.
Then I tried again to use my regular WiFi which also worked.

I cannot give the exact steps. First times I restarted the install by
powering off the device, later I only went back to the menu and
restarted the network configuration. I could not spot any pattern here.

Next error was, that the installer could not connect to pkgmaster when
configuring apt.

After booting into the installed OS I had to reconfigure my network.
There was no entry in /etc/network/interfaces besides the loopback
device.

I did the complete install two times, because I messed up my FDE:
* Connecting two WiFi happened multiple times during the first time, but
not during the second time.
* Missing firmware error happened both times.
* I did not check if the network was configured after the first install.

I'm planning another install on a X250 in the next few days/weeks (I
cannot make promises when I'll have time, this is a work machine and
needs to be setup completely.) If you want me to test something specific
or do anything to help, just let me know.

I also have another X200s which I could 'migrate' to Chimaera by
reinstalling it if you want to test especially this device.

HTH,
Rene Kita

[1] https://ftp.fau.de/devuan-cd/devuan_chimaera/installer-iso/devuan_chimaera_4.0.alpha-20210618_amd64_netinstall.iso