:: Re: [DNG] Another request for assis…
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Another request for assistance
On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 17:42:04 -0500
o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 4:11 PM Tim Wallace <tp_wallace@???>
> wrote:
>
> > After you boot with rEFInd, follow the directions for "Reinstalling
> > grub-efi on your hard drive" on this page: GrubEFIReinstall -
> > Debian Wiki <https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall>
> >
> > GrubEFIReinstall - Debian Wiki
> >
> > <https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall>
> >

> > Thank you mr Tim
>
> Worked my way through the destructions with all required responses
> being textbook.
> Ejected the rEFInd disk and then asked for a reboot.
>
> Resultant is :
> grub>
>
> grub> ls
> lists some 18 partitions none of which indicate the msdos needed for
> efi (proc), (hdo), (hd0,gpt15) (hd0, gpt 14 to 1) (hd1)
>
> Tried booting using the rEFInd disk and everything is working (select
> the correct partition and then everything works).
> Ran through the destructions again (just in case) with everything
> looking as indicated.
> Still not bootable directly.
>
> Looked at some pages re: booting from grub directly but somehow I was
> supposed to have this msdos partition (which I don't).
> So I'm still at least somewhat lost - - - I can get the system to
> boot but only using the long way around.
>
> Ideas/suggestions ?????
>
> TIA

Hi,
I can just show you what I have in the only efi booting system of mine:

/etc/fstab
/dev/nvme0n1p1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/nvme0n1p2 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
+ other partitions not relevant

in boot/efi there are this files and dirs:

ls -la /boot/efi/
total 12
drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jan  1  1970 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 May 20 14:45 ..
drwx------ 4 root root 4096 May 18 19:12 EFI
# ls -la /boot/efi/EFI
total 16
drwx------ 4 root root 4096 May 18 19:12 .
drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jan  1  1970 ..
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 May 18 19:12 debian
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 May 18 19:12 devuan
# ls -la /boot/efi/EFI/debian
total 12
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 May 18 19:12 .
drwx------ 4 root root 4096 May 18 19:12 ..
-rwx------ 1 root root  117 May 18 19:12 grub.cfg
# ls -la /boot/efi/EFI/devuan
total 5236
drwx------ 2 root root    4096 May 18 19:12 .
drwx------ 4 root root    4096 May 18 19:12 ..
-rwx------ 1 root root     108 May 18 19:12 BOOTX64.CSV
-rwx------ 1 root root 1206824 May 18 19:12 fbx64.efi
-rwx------ 1 root root     117 May 18 19:12 grub.cfg
-rwx------ 1 root root 1549696 May 18 19:12 grubx64.efi
-rwx------ 1 root root 1261192 May 18 19:12 mmx64.efi
-rwx------ 1 root root 1322936 May 18 19:12 shimx64.efi

the two grub.cfg files are identical.

Running update-grub shows:

# update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-16-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-16-amd64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-14-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-14-amd64
Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
done

The following grub and efi packages are installed:

dpkg --get-selections | grep grub
grub-common                                     install
grub-efi-amd64                                  install
grub-efi-amd64-bin                              install
grub-efi-amd64-signed                           install
grub2-common                                    install
root@aplysia:/home/tito# dpkg --get-selections | grep efi
efibootmgr                                      install
grub-efi-amd64                                  install
grub-efi-amd64-bin                              install
grub-efi-amd64-signed                           install
libefiboot1:amd64                               install
libefivar1:amd64                                install

The system was setup by the devuan installer iso.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
Tito