:: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
Author: aitor
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] USB mount problem
Hi Steve,

On 12/6/21 21:29, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi Aitor,
>
> Inotify is the Linux-official way of finding device events. As far as I
> know, inotify doesn't care whether you use udev, eudev or vdev, which
> in my opinion makes it superior. I'd prefer not to have a Hopman with
> all sorts of logic if vdev, elsif eudev, else udev, ESPECIALLY if the
> device handler decision is made at compile time. Only slightly
> better would be to have three Hopmans: One for each device handler.
>
> If there are missing symlinks in /dev/disk, why not fix that root cause
> and let the inotify authors worry about different device handlers,
> rather than base your program logic on something the systemd people can
> change any time, possibly forcing vdev and eudev to change in order to
> keep up?
>
> I've used inotify: It's an excellent way to find specific events,
> although the filtering of the event stream is somewhat complex. Why not
> reconsider using inotify?

Sorry if i've been unclear... I started my first post saying:

"At the *beginning* my point of view was quite different
because, on the contrary than Didier's design, i didn't use inotify to
become aware of any kernel uevent."

As i explained to Didier a couple of weeks ago, i'm not against the use of inotify.
Quite the opposite, i consider it a great tool. But i had problems with the mentioned
symlinks in /dev/disk and i took a temporary solution while i was designing the gui.
Indeed, the tarball in packages.gnuinos.org contains inotify, but i didn't upgrade the git
repository. I've just pushed the changes to gitea.devuan.dev. Look at the lines
107-112 in worker.cpp [*]. Yes, I'm using inotify :)

Cheers,

Aitor.

[*] You'll find the code a mess, i admit, but i'm improving it.