:: Re: [DNG] ..maybe webmin?, was: Co…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..maybe webmin?, was: Cockpit removal might make sense
On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 12:05:39AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> ..snip "tech" justification of subversive systemd politics.
>
> > So in summary, there is no way of running cockpit in a
> > non-systemd/Linux environment that I'd be willing to support.

Most of the worries mentioed here seem a bit overblown, but still
need to be considered.

> ..found just 3 mentions of "systemd", and this gem in:
> https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/c/cockpit/cockpit_243-1_changelog
> "- Detect unregistered RHEL systems on Software Updates page"

But I did look at those mentions of systemd. The one I found
worrisome was the first:

  * Add smoke autopkgtest that can run in containers.
    Add a simple test of cockpit-bridge and the login page to ensure that
    packages have the right dependencies and contents, and that the systemd
    units are set up correctly to get a login page on
    https://localhost:9090.
    This can also run in a container and thus in Debian's CI and on all

If systemd becomes an integral par of Debian's packaging system,
it may cause us difficulties.

-- hendrik