:: [DNG] ..maybe webmin?, was: Cockpi…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] ..maybe webmin?, was: Cockpit removal might make sense
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 15:24:32 +0900, Simon wrote in message
<73cac9f0-c1cf-c050-dcf6-a465c88262fa@???>:

> On 5/26/21 5:23 PM, Mark Hindley wrote:

..snip "tech" justification of subversive systemd politics.

> So in summary, there is no way of running cockpit in a
> non-systemd/Linux environment that I'd be willing to support.

..found just 3 mentions of "systemd", and this gem in:
https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/c/cockpit/cockpit_243-1_changelog
"- Detect unregistered RHEL systems on Software Updates page"

..now, Martin Pitt does offer a good recommendation:
> For these I'd rather recommend looking at webmin, ebox, or similar
> project."

..https://alternativeto.net/software/cockpit-linux/

..to maintain e.g. webmin (https://www.webmin.com/ )
support for cockpit, you may wanna look at these 2: ...
"https://packages.debian.org/sid/cockpit-bridge
Cockpit bridge server-side component
The Cockpit bridge component installed server side and runs commands
on the system on behalf of the web based user interface."
...and "https://packages.debian.org/sid/cockpit-tests
Tests for Cockpit
This package contains tests and files used while testing Cockpit.
These files are not required for running Cockpit." ...

...and check systemd and cockpit brass thinking: ...
https://packages.debian.org/sid/cockpit-doc
"Cockpit deployment and developer guide
The Cockpit Deployment and Developer Guide shows sysadmins how to
deploy Cockpit on their machines as well as helps developers who
want to embed or extend Cockpit."

...against: https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/cockpit
and the possible potential Ken Thompson style hacks:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Ken+Thompson+style+hacks&ia=web

..and, who needs a compiler with systemd onboard? My guess is systemd
running as PID1, can be set up to launch such possible "Ken Thompson
style hack" attacks, all you need to do is hide them away in binaries
somewhere "neccessary" online, so these new Cockpit web admin user
systemd victims never understand them, even if they ever find out how
to read such C etc code...

..on cockpit and alternatives:
https://www.unixmen.com/cockpit-a-beginner-friendly-server-administration-tool/
https://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2020/241/Cockpit
https://www.hostingadvice.com/how-to/cpanel-vs-plesk-vs-webpanel/
https://alternativeto.net/software/webmin/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_hosting_control_panels

..cockpit is not known by Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockpit_(disambiguation)
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&limit=500&offset=0&profile=default&search=intitle%3A%22Cockpit%22&ns0=1

..turns out ebox changed its name, and, it does not support Procmail:
https://zentyal.com/features/

..webmin supports procmail.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: