:: Re: [DNG] Request for assistance wi…
Author: o1bigtenor
To: Tim Wallace
CC: Patrick Bartek, Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] Request for assistance with install
On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 10:35 AM Tim Wallace via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> I've had intermittent trouble with Devuan/EFI from day 1, when I got a new MB/SSD and found out I had to use EFI for my hardware to work. Most recent was a bad grub update (you may recall that was a topic of conversation here a few months back. Latest (yesterday) was my MB battery dying, and having to replace that! I could not boot, no matter what settings I picked (the no legacy boot thing seems a little different in my most recent bios, but pretty sure I turned it off.)
>
> Solution: I booted with a refind thumb drive, and followed the instructions here: https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall which may be all you need to do to get your system booting. I found when I booted that /boot/efi was not mounted, even though it was in my fstab. I mounted it when the instructions called for it, and everything else worked smoothly. I was able to boot without my thumb drive, just now!
>
> Perhaps this will help. I used refind version 0.13.1 (downloaded in Feb, when I had trouble with the grub update).
>
> After this, updates to Devuan work fine, and the boot loader works normally.

I used a DVD with refind on it and was able to boot into the system - - - - yeh!

Investigating I may have found the problem (using the page that you suggested).

The command
[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot on HDD" || echo "Legacy boot on HDD"

returns
EFI boot on HDD

When I look into the directories I see a possible issue (why I'm a
asking - - - grin!)

/boot/efi is present
# ls /boot/efi       shows
EFI
# ls /boot/efi/EFI    shows
debian devuan

I'm thinking that that directory named "EFI" is causing problems and that
both the 'debian' and the 'devuan' directories inside should be moved to
be in /boot/efi rather than in /boot/efi/EFI as at present.

Please advise

TIA