:: Re: [DNG] Cockpit removal might mak…
Author: Rowland penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Cockpit removal might make sense
On 25/05/2021 17:09, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> Dnia Tue, May 25, 2021 at 04:53:29PM +0100, Rowland penny via Dng napisał(a):
>>> After installing it on an fresh Beowulf installation, it does not run
>>> and to my knowledge will never be able to w/o systemd sockets.
>>>
>>> IIRC, the policy is not to remove anything related, but use stubs and
>>> let the user deal with half-broken software (ie. GNOME). Cockpit doesn't
>>> (currently) have dependencies on systemd and it's modules, but it
>>> requires a systemd socket to function. So, AFAICT, it is not even
>>> partially usable.
>>>
>> Why would you want to remove something that works ?
>    Have you seen Cockpit working on Devuan system?

Yes, I had it running on my old Samba AD DC's and I now have it running
on a Devuan Unix domain member on my way to installing the Samba AD DC
module.

There are minor problems, red-hat seems to think the only way to join to
a domain is via realmd and sssd and you cannot use either with Samba >=
4.8.0

>> It just needs an init script.
> It's more than that. Cockpit uses systemd's API not only to listen on
> network socket, but also to manage services and other stuff.
> Just starting Cockpit without systemd requires helpers like
> https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/commit/777c59095af6147af487bf6a5aa76b915b2463d6
> It probably not worth (or even feasible) reimplemnting all those APIs
> for Cockpit.

You might be correct, but it works for what I require 😁

Rowland