:: Re: [DNG] Cockpit removal might mak…
Author: Tomasz Torcz
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Cockpit removal might make sense
Dnia Tue, May 25, 2021 at 04:53:29PM +0100, Rowland penny via Dng napisał(a):
> > After installing it on an fresh Beowulf installation, it does not run
> > and to my knowledge will never be able to w/o systemd sockets.
> >
> > IIRC, the policy is not to remove anything related, but use stubs and
> > let the user deal with half-broken software (ie. GNOME). Cockpit doesn't
> > (currently) have dependencies on systemd and it's modules, but it
> > requires a systemd socket to function. So, AFAICT, it is not even
> > partially usable.
> >

> Why would you want to remove something that works ?

Have you seen Cockpit working on Devuan system?

> It just needs an init script.

It's more than that. Cockpit uses systemd's API not only to listen on
network socket, but also to manage services and other stuff.
Just starting Cockpit without systemd requires helpers like
https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/commit/777c59095af6147af487bf6a5aa76b915b2463d6
It probably not worth (or even feasible) reimplemnting all those APIs
for Cockpit.

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
tomek@???     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  — Alia