:: Re: [DNG] Multiple resignations fro…
Author: Bernard Rosset
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Multiple resignations from Freenode's staff ??? New drama shake the opensource
> It's a spelling change!

Thanks Rick, for this lighthearted take on this!
Very much welcome and appreciated on my part.

> It appears that Mr. Lee's corporate entity "freenode Limited" has,
> at least for now, Registrant status for three Internet domains,
> freenode.net/org/com. Mr. Lee appears to have no other assets relevant
> to what until now was called Freenode and, probably by the end of Thursday,
> his time, his three Internet domains will point to no Internet
> infrastructure, as it will all disaffiliate and reconstitute itself as
> "LiberaChat" -- as is happening in real time as I write this.

This actually is the "dream" of any infra person facing a relentless
ego-bloated hijacker above in such a situation.

As you pointed out, it's not an isolated incident, and I also witnessed
that happening years ago amongst aviation simmers/enthusiasts at IVAO.
ivao.org attempted hijacking by the domain owner, which resulted in a
split and a move to ivao.aero... which then hosted the actual infra.
ivao.org promised it would continue services, called for staff to
remain, but the technical know-how and assets actually slipped between
that guy's fingers.
Today, ivao.org is an empty shell, progressively forgotten by elders and
unknown from the newcomers.
Sounds familiar? (o:

I do hope that change does not hurt IRC use more than it was already,
albeit I somehom know it does/will.
IRC is not popular amongst the masses anymore, as the general population
get more and more individualistic, and does not think nor care about
principles behind the products they seek using, usually proprietary,
free of charge or not.

Grab the pop-corn,
Bernard (Beer) Rosset
https://rosset.net/