:: Re: [DNG] Beowulf; Increasing the …
Author: onefang
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Beowulf; Increasing the number of boot options under grub. How To?
On 2021-05-17 23:31:12, terryc wrote:
> I am hoping there is a simple config/number change in the grub
> config files, but I can not find it in the doco I've read.
>
> In the past, the list of kernel images just grew each time you
> loaded/updated the linux-image files. But the current system
> automatically trims it to just two, with normal and recovery versions of
> each.
>
> The reason I want to do this is to lad step through some of the 5.*
> kernel to see if any of them now give any support to my AMD RX 5700* XT
> gpu card that has been unable to be used(unless I want a single screern
> in vesa mode).
>
> LS: At this stage the hardware is correctly identified by various
> hardware programs with mirrored dual screens during boot up, but the
> between Xorg, Mesa & Vvulkan, which supposedly make it work, I just get
> a VESA single screen.
>
> My tip is never to but any AMD 5700 card. My 5700 HD never worked
> reliably under their proprietary driver and it was years before the
> Radeon driver was able to support it.

I recently bought an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT card. Your 5700 might be too
new for Beowulf, I had to jump through some hoops te get my 5600 working
fully. Using the 5.10 kernel from Beowulf-backports, Mesa drivers and a
bunch of related libraries from a third party PPA, and a hack. I now
have 3D virtual worlds and dual screen working fine. No idea if any of
that will work for a 5700, since I don't have one.