:: Re: [DNG] Diff between backports an…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Ludovic Bellière
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Diff between backports and proposed upgrades
Hi Ludovic, list,

Just some minor nitpicks and additions.

Ludovic Bellière writes:

> Hello terry,
>
> The packages present in the backports channel comes from the next
> unstable (bullseye/chimaera).

Unstable is sid/ceres, always.
The *next* stable release, bullseye/chimaera is currently known as
testing.

Packages in backports may (have) come from unstable or testing at some
point in time but are rebuilt against stable.

This prevents a scenario where a newer version from unstable or testing
would require upgrading of a lot of dependent packages, e.g. libraries,
and pretty much force you to upgrade a fairly large part of your system
to unstable or testing.

> Where as the proposed-updates (and **not** upgrades) are the packages
> who are being prepared for the next stable point release. It is
> debian's review process to make sure nothing breaks.

Correct but there is no upgrades. I think you meant updates which is
for non-security updates that should go in ASAP and cannot really wait
for the next point release. For details and examples, see

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#special-case-the-stable-updates-suite

This used to be called volatile.

> Cheers,

Hope this helps,