:: Re: [DNG] Keeping unneeded packages…
Author: Alessandro Vesely
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Keeping unneeded packages of your system (was Re: Advice to migrate from Beowulf to Chimaera)
On Wed 28/Apr/2021 14:15:43 +0200 Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng wrote:
> What I did
> find somewhat weird is that it asked whether I wanted to keep all of the
> xserver-xorg-video-* individually when I had already said `Y` to the
> `task-desktop` package. With `apt-mark` I just marked
> `task-xfce-desktop` as manual and didn't have to make up my mind about
> all the video drivers.

Yes, I tried it and it asks lots of useless questions.

Once I told it to remove Evolution (since I use Thunderbird), and it went on
asking whether I wanted to keep each evolution plugin.

Of a smart package, I'd have expected to look at what packages are configured
for day to day usage. There are several ways to do so, starting from the
alternatives system, perhaps Firefox's handlers, recently accessed executables,
whatever. And how about packages downloaded and installed outside of the apt
system (typically libreoffice, I'd guess)?

What I really missed is a percent indicator. How many questions are there
ahead? I terminated with 'q'. Possibly, the only package it helped to remove
is debfoster itself.

Best
Ale