:: Re: [DNG] Advice to migrate from Be…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Bernard Rosset
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Advice to migrate from Beowulf to Chimaera
Hi Bernard,

Bernard Rosset via Dng writes:

>> find /usr/bin -atime +360 | xargs -l1 apt-file find | sort
>
> I would suggest dpkg -S instead of apt-file find, which matches prefix,
> not exact file. I would also filter on the package name and ensure
> unicity. Also, never log in as root.
>
> Here would me my quick & dirty take at your command chain:
> find /usr/bin -atime +360 | xargs -l1 sudo dpkg -S | awk -F ':' '{print
> $1}' | sort | uniq

Huh? What's with the sudo for dpkg -S?
For all I remember that works fine without root privileges.

olaf@quark:~$ find /usr/bin -atime +360 | xargs -l1 dpkg -S \
| awk -F ':' '{print $1}' | sort | uniq
eject
pciutils
upower
xfconf

FWIW, throwing in sudo gives the same result and my user account is in
the sudo group. And I have modified that groups /etc/sudoers entry to

 # Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
 %sudo    ALL=(ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

so it doesn't prompt me for a password.

Hope this helps,