:: Re: [DNG] Debian/Buster-to-Devuan/B…
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian/Buster-to-Devuan/Beowulf : Version 3
On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 21:56:03 +0200
Svante Signell via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The following text file describes the procedure:
> (replacing Debian's Gnome desktop (default) with Devuan's Gnome)
>
> apt-get install emacs-nox
> apt-get install net-tools
> emacs ~srs/.bashrc
> + export PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin
> source ~srs/.bashrc
> ifconfig
> ens3 ...
>
> Remove all entries of debian.
> emacs /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf main
> deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security main
> deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-updates main
> deb http://deb.devuan.org/devuan beowulf-proposed main
> wget
> https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/devuan/pool/main/d/devuan-keyring/devuan-keyring_2017.10.03_all.deb
> dpkg -i devuan-keyring_2017.10.03_all.deb
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade (not as good idea)
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> chrome-gnome-shell colord dbus-user-session gdm3 gnome gnome-color-
> manager
> gnome-control-center gnome-core gnome-music gnome-session
> gnome-settings-daemon gnome-shell gnome-shell-extensions gnome-
> software
> gnome-tweaks gstreamer1.0-packagekit iio-sensor-proxy libnss-systemd
> libpam-systemd network-manager network-manager-gnome packagekit
> packagekit-tools plymouth plymouth-label policykit-1 rtkit systemd
> systemd-sysv task-gnome-desktop
> ant ant-contrib ant-optional atril atril-common ca-certificates-java
> cinnabar-icon-theme clearlooks-phenix-cinnabar-theme cups-common
> debian-pulseaudio-config-override default-jre default-jre-headless
> dmz-cursor-theme eudev exo-utils firebird3.0-common firebird3.0-
> common-doc
> firebird3.0-server-core firebird3.0-utils fonts-crosextra-caladea
> fonts-crosextra-carlito fonts-liberation fonts-mathjax fonts-symbola
> gnome-extra-icons gnome-icon-theme gstreamer1.0-alsa gtk2-engines
> gtk2-engines-xfce gtk3-nooverlayscrollbar hddtemp initscripts
> insserv java-common libactivation-java libaopalliance-java
> libapache-poi-java libapache-pom-java libargs4j-java libasm-java
> libatinject-jsr330-api- java
> libatk-wrapper-java libatk-wrapper-java-jni libatrildocument3
> libatrilview3
> libbase-java libbcmail-java libbcpkix-java libbcprov-java libcaja-
> extension1
> libcdi-api-java libcglib-java libcodemodel-java libcommons-cli-java
> libcommons-codec-java libcommons-collections3-java
> libcommons-collections4-java libcommons-compress-java libcommons-io-
> java
> libcommons-lang3-java libcommons-logging-java libcommons-math3-java
> libcommons-parent-java libcurvesapi-java libdom4j-java
> libdtd-parser- java
> libehcache-java libel-api-java libeudev1 libexo-1-0 libexo-2-0
> libexo-common
> [...]

Hi,
would you please test my script for migration v1.2 it is setup for
Debian with Gnome DE as this is the more systemd tied DE and
therefore a better test bench to detect problems. I think it could be
easily adapted to XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon or LXQT .
Advantages are:
1) you never loose network
2) no mass packet deinstall and reinstall
3) Just one reboot to console (which could be automated, I suppose,
    to run a few more commands)
4) Fully working DE at next reboot

Contras:
 1) the reboot sequence is somewhat brutal and could be improved
       (any reboot gurus on the list?)

If there is some interest I can make a XFCE version.

Ciao,
Tito