:: Re: [DNG] minor panic with host reb…
Author: Chris Richmond
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] minor panic with host reboot
Message: 2
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2021 07:53:34 +0200
From: tito <farmatito@???>
To: dng@???

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 10:29:52 +1100
wirelessduck--- via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/molly-guard
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/admin/molly-guard

I looked at what this is, and it makes sense, but wouldn't have helped unless it also
detects an xterm in a VNC session. The why it rebooted is obvious (keyboard chair interface failure),
it's the what happened after that didn’t make sense.

Tito,

> if I recall correctly there where some problems with a grub update recently. If is that booting with a usb drive and:

<procedure removed>
> should fix it,
> Hope this helps.

I checked the grub version, and it wasn't updated:
> apt list | grep grub | grep install

grub-common/oldstable,now 2.02~beta3-5+deb9u2 amd64 [installed]
grub-efi-amd64/oldstable,now 2.02~beta3-5+deb9u2 amd64 [installed]
grub-efi-amd64-bin/oldstable,now 2.02~beta3-5+deb9u2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
grub2-common/oldstable,now 2.02~beta3-5+deb9u2 amd64 [installed,automatic]

and: apt list --upgradable | grep grub comes up empty. It looks like grub.cfg got rebuilt in Jan
when I last ran: apt update/upgrade (Jan31'21), but the inputs in /etc/grub.d are original to the install (Oct'18).

My only point is grub doesn't appear to have been updated since it last booted cleanly, which is why I was asking for
ideas about what might have happened. I've got a similar spare machine on older hardware I'll have to fire up and
play with that to see what I can uncover.

> P.S.: devuan/debian routers are great!!!

I've been doing this sort of thing since maybe RedHat 7, so yeah, I agree. I found Devuan when I tried to update
my box to Centos7 and ran into systemd.

Thx, Chris