:: Re: [DNG] Discovery #fail
Author: Ludovic Bellière
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Discovery #fail

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 18:10:52 +1100
terryc <terryc@???> wrote:

> Back in ascii, there was a program "update-pciids" which you could run
> to ensure you had could run to ensure you had the latest device Ids.
>
> However, it doesn't appear in the programs for beowulf (amd64)

It is part of pciutils, and is available on beowulf.

> You didn't say which laptop/model you have.
> Ubuntu seems to have connections where it can provide drivers for
> certain laptops/models. You may have just lucked upon one that it so
> does.

The laptop may be an odd ball with weird components requiring a patch
or two. I have an old one here for which the display stopped working
properly since Buster/Beowulf, as the support for the screen eventually
got removed from Xorg. To be fair, it's not a good hardware at all and
nobody actually uses the thing. So maybe ubuntu has a patch for Steve's
specific laptop?