:: Re: [DNG] kvm -- virsh failed shutd…
Author: Andrew McGlashan
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] kvm -- virsh failed shutdown -- reason was missing acpid on vm [resolved]
Hi,

On 26/3/21 12:25 am, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Thursday 25 March 2021 at 14:16:52, Andrew McGlashan via Dng wrote:
>
>>      "virsh shutdown vmname"

>>      The immediate response was that it would shutdown the vm....

>>      However, doing "virsh list --all" still showed the vm as "Running" no
>> matter how long I waited.

>> It turns out the the vm needed to have the acpid package installed so that
>> the vm could get the shutdown signal.
>
> Indeed - this is a known requirement for VMs (certainly under KVM, I don't
> know about Xen etc, but I would assume it also applies there).

I think that systemd takes care of it, with or without acpid, but I'm not sure about that.

If this is a consequence of choosing non-systemd, then perhaps it should be mitigated by the sans systemd system installing acpid.

> Whether you consider it a shortcoming of Debian (and therefore Devuan) that
> acpid and acpid-support-base are not installed by default is up to you.

Debian, no need for acpid for vm but only if systemd is installed, is that correct?

> My solution is that I've added these packages to the script I run immediately
> after creating a VM, to make sure it works the way I want it to.

Yeah, it was a pain point until I worked it out.

Cheers
A.