:: Re: [DNG] kvm -- virsh failed shutd…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] kvm -- virsh failed shutdown -- reason was missing acpid on vm [resolved]
On Thursday 25 March 2021 at 14:16:52, Andrew McGlashan via Dng wrote:

>      "virsh shutdown vmname"

>      The immediate response was that it would shutdown the vm....

>      However, doing "virsh list --all" still showed the vm as "Running" no
> matter how long I waited.

> It turns out the the vm needed to have the acpid package installed so that
> the vm could get the shutdown signal.

Indeed - this is a known requirement for VMs (certainly under KVM, I don't
know about Xen etc, but I would assume it also applies there).

https://serverfault.com/questions/441204/kvm-qemu-guest-shutdown-problems

Whether you consider it a shortcoming of Debian (and therefore Devuan) that
acpid and acpid-support-base are not installed by default is up to you.

My solution is that I've added these packages to the script I run immediately
after creating a VM, to make sure it works the way I want it to.

Antony.

--
I conclude that there are two ways of constructing a software design: One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies, and the

- C A R Hoare

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.