:: Re: [DNG] Trouble booting Beowulf o…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Trouble booting Beowulf on an Intel NUC8i5BEK
dvalin@??? said on Thu, 25 Mar 2021 17:30:14 +1030

> Have just taken delivery of an Intel NUC8i5BEK, installed RAM & SSD.
>A USB stick with:
>$ dd if=~/Downloads/devuan_beowulf_3.0.0_i386_desktop-live.iso
>of=/dev/sdb  bs=512k
>looks good mounted on another host, but doesn't boot in the NUC.
>
>On power-up or Ctl-Alt-Del, the NUC reads the USB twice (LED on the
>stick flashes),
>but then reports "A bootable device has not been detected."

My experience, over many years with many distros, is that "bootable
thumb drives" aren't so bootable. Some work with a dd transfer but
don't work with unetbootin. Others work with unetbootin but not dd.
Others require all sorts of special sauce to get them bootable. You
mentioned that your thumb drive "looks good" on another host. Unless
"looks good" means the other host booted off it, the thumb drive's
bootability is still up in the air, and when combined with uefi/legacy,
boot order, and all sorts of other stuff, the last thing you need is a
boot media you can't trust.

I'd purchase a $35.00 USB DVD burner
drive, burn a bootable CD or DVD, then boot off of that.

SteveT

Steve Litt