:: Re: [DNG] Trouble booting Beowulf o…
Author: Marjorie Roome
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Trouble booting Beowulf on an Intel NUC8i5BEK
Hi Erik,

On Thu, 2021-03-25 at 17:30 +1030, dvalin@??? wrote:

> Have just taken delivery of an Intel NUC8i5BEK, installed RAM & SSD.
> A USB stick with:
> $ dd if=~/Downloads/devuan_beowulf_3.0.0_i386_desktop-live.iso
> of=/dev/sdb bs=512k looks good mounted on another host, but doesn't
> boot in the NUC.
>
> On power-up or Ctl-Alt-Del, the NUC reads the USB twice (LED on the
> stick flashes), but then reports "A bootable device has not been
> detected."
>
> I've gone into the BIOS, and in the Boot Order tab, hit Advanced,
> then in Boot Configuration tab set "Boot USB Devices First". F10 to
> save.
> That gives a Boot Devices list below with a greyed out "Internal UEFI
> Shell",
> followed by "USB", then the others below that. Looks good, but
> returning to the adjacent Boot Priority tab shows:
>
> UEFI Boot Priority                             Legacy Boot Priority
> ------------------------                             ----------------
> -----------
> UEFI Boot  <tick>                            Legacy Boot  <tick>
> Boot Drive Order                             Boot Drive Order  "No
> Boot Drive"
> UEFI LAN: PXE IP4 ...
> UEFI LAN: PXE IP6 ...

> and the Boot Order tab seen on entry to the BIOS shows the same.
>
> From that I infer that legacy boot from USB is not a BIOS config
> option, and that the Boot Configuration tab setting isn't recognised
> in the Boot Priority tab's UEFI column. (At least for display, since
> the USB is accessed twice during boot.)
>
> Can anyone spread a sprinkle of enlightenment on this apparent
> impasse?
>
> Erik

I have an older, more basic NUC running in legacy mode as my email
server, however I think you have the newer AptioV bios.

Check here, where you can see the two possible BIOS start pages:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006028/intel-nuc.html

Looking in the AptioV Glossary:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/intel-nuc/NUC-AptioV-BIOS-Glossary.pdf

I think you need the investigate the 'Boot' tab first.

--
Marjorie